Home · Politics · Aug 19 archive
Trump pauses Canada 50% tariffs three days as negotiators race to finalize a deal
Developing

What we know
Late Tuesday into Wednesday reporting, President Donald Trump said he paused for three days the threatened 50% tariffs on roughly $20 billion of Canadian goods that had been set to take effect around the Aug. 19 deadline, citing an emerging deal subject to final documents.
Speaking Wednesday, Trump called the emerging terms fair to both sides while Canadian officials described progress but said negotiations were not finished. Key sector details (autos, dairy, alcohol) remained incomplete in wire accounts.
What's confirmed
- Trump publicly announced a three-day pause on the new 50% Canada tariffs tied to document finalization.
- AP, BBC, and ABC reported the pause and the incomplete nature of published deal terms.
- The original Section 338-based tariff package had targeted a slice of Canadian exports after July proclamations.
What's still developing
- Whether signed documents land before the pause expires.
- Exact tariff relief each side receives across autos, dairy, and alcohol.
