Home · Politics · May 5 archive

Trump pauses Project Freedom in Hormuz, cites Iran deal progress

Developing

Politics Desk

What we know

President Donald Trump said Tuesday evening he was pausing "Project Freedom," the U.S. military effort to guide stranded commercial ships through the Strait of Hormuz, after roughly one day of escorts, AP, Reuters, NPR and BBC reported. Trump said the pause came at Pakistan's request and because "great progress" had been made toward a final agreement with Iran; the U.S. naval blockade of Iranian ports remains in force.

Earlier Tuesday, Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth said the U.S.-Iran ceasefire "certainly holds" and cast the escort mission as temporary and separate from Operation Epic Fury, while Secretary of State Marco Rubio said Iran cannot be allowed to control or toll the strait. CENTCOM said two U.S.-flagged merchant ships had already transited under escort Monday; hundreds of vessels remain bottled up in the Gulf.

What's confirmed

What's still developing

Sources