Home · World · May 2 archive
Israeli airstrikes kill at least 7 in southern Lebanon despite ceasefire; convent bulldozed
Confirmed
What we know
Israeli airstrikes on southern Lebanon killed at least seven people and wounded others on Saturday, and Israeli forces demolished parts of a Catholic convent in the border village of Yaroun, AP, BBC and Al Jazeera reported. The Israeli military issued a new evacuation warning for nine southern villages and said it carried out about 50 strikes over the prior day targeting Hezbollah infrastructure.
Lebanon's National News Agency said strikes killed two in Kfar Dajal, three in Lwaizeh and two in Shoukin. Separately, Lebanon's health ministry said 13 people, including women and a child, were killed in Friday strikes in Haboush, Zrarieh and Ain Baal. Fighting has continued in the south despite a ceasefire in place since April 17; Beirut and its southern suburbs have largely been spared under the truce.
What's confirmed
- AP: Saturday airstrikes killed at least seven in southern Lebanon; Israeli bulldozers damaged a Catholic convent in Yaroun that had been emptied by fighting (AP).
- BBC: Health ministry tallied 13 killed in Friday strikes including four women and a child; IDF said about 50 strikes in the last day (BBC).
- Al Jazeera: Ministry of Health said Saturday's wave raised the prior 24-hour toll sharply; ceasefire dating to April 17 continues to fray in the south (Al Jazeera).
- AP/BBC: Israel and Hezbollah have kept attacking despite the truce; Israel warned residents of nine villages to evacuate (AP, BBC).
What's still developing
- Whether Washington presses Israel and Lebanon to harden the April 17 ceasefire as southern raids continue.
- Full casualty accounting for Saturday's strikes versus Friday's Haboush toll.
- Church and diplomatic response to the Yaroun convent demolition.
Sources
- AP — Israeli airstrikes kill 7 in southern Lebanon as a Catholic convent is bulldozed link
- BBC — Thirteen killed in Israeli strikes on southern Lebanon, health ministry says link
- Al Jazeera — Israeli air strikes on Lebanon kill 41 people in 24 hours link
- AFP — Lebanon says 13 killed in Israeli strikes in south link
